Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Take 5 with ... "Slices of Clarity"

Brooke White
As we gear up for the 10th anniversary Oxford Film Festival, we wanted to introduce you to the filmmakers and their films you will experience on Feb. 21-24, 2013. Meet Brooke White, creator of "Slices of Clarity." White has previously served as the experimental film curator for the festival but due to living abroad for a year, took a break to enjoy the festival as a filmmaker. We are excited to kick off our Take 5 series (posting every day between now and the film fest) with Brooke White.

#1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.
Slices of Clarity is an experimental film about memory, family and the landscape. It looks at memory from the vantage point of someone who has Alzheimer’s disease. In the film there are little glimpses of tangible bots of reality mixed with moments of clarity and confusion.

#2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?
Making this film pushed me in ways that I haven’t been challenged before. There were the technical challenges of dealing with archival film footage, to the emotional challenges of working with the memory of someone who has Alzheimer’s. By making this film I was able to experience and see what I imagine Alzheimer’s to be like, it’s hard to put yourself in someone else’s shoes but I tried hard when I made this. This film is made for and inspired by my mother.


#3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?
I am a photographer and video artist who specializes in making experimental videos. I got my start making experimental films while I was in grad school where I had the opportunity to work with legendary experimental filmmakers, like David Gattan and James Benning, both of whom set the foundation for me. I am also an educator, teaching photography and video at Ole Miss and I love doing both.


#4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?
I would love to have this filmed screened in many different venues; musuems, galleries, film festivals, etc.

#5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?
The sky’s the limit!

No comments: