Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Take 5 with "Perfection"

Christina Beck
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Christina Beck of "Perfection"
Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.
A:  Perfection is an unlikely love story about a woman Kristabelle, who is living with her self obsessed mother, Sally (Robyn Peterson) and cuts herself to feel some sort of connection. Things fall apart when she finally cuts too deep, their small world cracks open and from that Kristabelle starts to heal from her past and allows Simon ( David Melville) a British stand up comic see beyond her scars and into her heart. If you like character driven films with a sense of humor about the frailties of life that offer hope it may be your cup of tea!

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made? 
A: DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU "NO"! We basically never got funded so we just started shooting on the weekends while I was working a 40 hr a week day job. I had an amazing, devoted cast and crew and it took us 2 1/2 years to finish principle photography. God bless them and everything I learned from this life changing experience and the best part for me was to see how devoted I am to filmmaking and can't wait to do it all again!

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?
A: :  Starting out as an actress, I have always been interested in telling stories about real women and as a filmmaker I’m thrilled to have a wider canvas to express my point of view, style and sensibility. I was very lucky to work with Penelope Spheeris on my first three films and she taught me it is possible to make cool independent films as a woman. I'm from Los Angeles but lived in NYC for many years to study, write, direct and act in theatre. I came back to LA, did more theatre, wrote short stories then short films and PERFECTION is my first feature.



Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?
A:  I always intended to show the PERFECTION to as wide an audience as possible to inspire hope humor and healing. At this point we are just starting our festival run and as my next feature is set in France I'd like to have a wide release in Europe as well as the states.


Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A:  Depending how things go, I'd be happy with a VOD deal, pay our debts, screen the film for colleges, self injury groups and sell DVD's on our own. This is a crazy time in the world and I'm just so grateful I managed to make the movie I wanted to make. I'm looking forward to shooting my next feature, EXPECTING GRACE later this year!

No comments: