Thursday, January 19, 2012

Take 5 with "The Best Day"

Coop Cooper

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.


Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Coop Cooper, writer/producer/director of “The Best Day.”

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A:  Inspired by paranoia sci-fi/horror films of the 70's & 80's, "The Best Day" is the 1st narrative short filmed in Clarksdale, MS by locals.  

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A:  Biggest lesson:  Although you need delegate responsibilities to a capable and talented crew, take the initiative to learn every aspect of filmmaking yourself.  Not only will you gain valuable skills, but it will also reveal hidden talents and greatly enrich your appreciation for filmmaking.  Best part:  The premiere and the festival circuit.  There is nothing more exhilarating than seeing your work on the big screen, then mingling with the audience afterwards.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A:  In 1999 when I received my Masters in Screenwriting from AFI, I had learned a great deal about my craft, but the other aspects of filmmaking seemed far too technical and expensive, so I focused strictly on writing and becoming a film critic.  By the time I wrote "The Best Day", indie filmmaking equipment had become more accessible (and affordable), so I challenged myself to learn all of the skills I did not major in during film school and make the short myself.  "The Best Day" screening at the Oxford Film Festival is a result of that challenge and I'm very pleased to be a part of this event.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A:  I would like for "The Best Day" to eventually be part of an anthology of short films with similar themes.  

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A:  I am already working towards my next short to be set and filmed here in Mississippi.  I will also continue writing movie reviews and articles for the "Clarksdale Press Register" and Smalltowncritic.com.

No comments: