Friday, January 20, 2012

Take 5 with "Cardboard Titanics"

Sam Frazier
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.


Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Sam Frazier, Jr, director of Cardboard Titanics.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Seriously, I've got delusional people making, rowing, and racing boats made solely of cardboard and duck tape and all of this for no better reason than some nebulous claim of recapturing the American Dream. So, is there really any question that you have to see this film?

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: I think I learned three lessons: 1- Absurd ways to spend your free time can be strangely life affirming, 2- There's great truth in Ricky Nelson's line, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself", or, in other words, make the movie you want to make, 3-You never know when and where success will come from.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: A: Oh hell, I hate talking about myself. Unusual if not unheard of for filmmakers, huh? I'm a completely self-made idiot--make that filmmaker. In other words, I never went to film school and learned most of what I know from books and volunteering for friends' shoots. I've made a number of short comedic films over the past several years, reviewed movies for FilmThreat.com, and served as a judge for the Oxford FIlm Festival. 

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: As this is a short film, it's probably not going to play at multiplexes. Honestly, my real dream is for as many people as possible to see the film and for someone to offer me a job writing and/ editing short form comedy. As there is very little sketch comedy around these days, this may, indeed, be simply a dream.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A:
 I predict that Cardboard Titanics will play to uproarious laughter at the Oxford Film Festival in February, I will not end up at the Oxford emergency room this year, that some people will be inspired by the film and help me create that aforementioned sketch comedy group, that other folks will be gravely offended by my film (which is fine, because screw them really), improved battery life, whiter whites, and that I'll have a beer or two somewhere in between. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea

No comments: