Saturday, February 05, 2011

Take 5 with "Inside Out/Side One"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Matt Meindl, creator of "Inside Out/Side one."
For the full schedule and description of the films, visit
www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: I like to describe my film as a 5-minute nostalgia chunk. Despite its non-narrative structure and old-timey aesthetic, I feel like the tangled-up, shadowy nature of memory is something that most people can relate to.

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Once I start a project there is always an urge to hurry up and complete it. With Inside Out/Side One I had to force myself to slow down and even set the film aside for a while until I could figure out the most effective way to piece the footage together. I had shot a lot of footage over a number of years and it was very satisfying to eventually create an edit that made sense . . . made sense to me, I mean.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I was born, raised and film-schooled in Ohio. I started making monster movies in high school and in college became interested in more personal + experimental types of filmmaking (the more strange and embarrassing the better). I still do most of my shooting on super 8 + 16mm film and also record my own soundtracks with guitars, banjos and virtual theremins.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: I don't know that experimental shorts typically get extensive distribution but my hope is that a lot of people will see it at festivals and connect with it in some way. Or that it'll end up on YouTube and some kids will click that little "thumbs up" icon.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: 
I'm happy that Inside Out/Side One has had a good festival run and am currently working on several new shorts that I hope to complete this year.

No comments: