Monday, February 01, 2010

Take 5 with "Topi"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.


Arjun Rihan's "Topi" screens Friday, Feb. 5 at 10 a.m. with Animation Block and Saturday, Feb. 6 at 4:30 p.m.


OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.


AR: "Topi" is a heartwarming tale of religious tolerance.


OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?


AR: Biggest lesson: Less is more. The scale of this film meant that I had to be as efficient as possible in each stage of production. The best part in getting the film made is getting to see it with audiences and listening to their reactions. In general, the film has been received much more positively than I expected.


OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?


AR: After failing to make it in Silicon Valley as a computer programmer, I enrolled in the University of Southern California's animation program. My work while at USC is pretty much my entire filmmaking background although I've also dabbled in photography.


OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?


AR: Mobile distribution is something that I am very excited about, and I would love to see "Topi" playing on handheld devices like the iPhone.


OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?


AR: In the near future, I plan to continue to send "Topi" out to festivals and hopefully secure distribution for the film.

No comments: