Sunday, January 31, 2010

Take 5 with "Carried Away"



The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.


Tom Huckabee returns to Oxford, where he has served as a panelist for three past festivals, with his feature world premiere of "Carried Away." The film screens Saturday, Feb. 6 at 2:35 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 7 at 1:05 p.m. 


OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.


TH: It's good-looking, smart and funny, like the people reading this.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made?

TH: Two things:
1) Staging scenes in moving cars is logistically difficult and artistically unrewarding.
2) Always get  coverage, even if you plan on using the master.

OFF: Best part in getting the film made?

TH: Getting to hang with some of the best people I've ever known. Making new friends and deepening old friendships.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

TH: I started making movies when I was thirteen and won a few film festival awards while still a teenager.  After graduating from high school  I moved to Hollywood and worked as a production assistant for a year before enrolling in film school at U.T. Austin, where I co-wrote and co-directed my first feature “Taking Tiger Mountain,” starring Bill Paxton.  Back in Hollywood after college, I was a staff producer with Landmark Theaters for a few years, followed by a decade of  sundry freelance work as a producer, story analyst, script doctor, historical researcher and quality control supervisor.  In 1997 I was the associate producer and music supervisor on "Traveller," starring Bill Paxton, Julianna Margulies and Mark Wahlberg.   From 1998 – 2005 I was vice president of  Paxton’s American Entertainment, where I created and oversaw development of projects with Disney, Universal,  Imagine, Image Movers, HBO and Revolution Studios.  In 2001, I executive-produced “Frailty,” starring Paxton, Matthew McConaughey and Powers Boothe.  In 2007, I served as the artistic director of the first annual Lone Star International Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas.

OFF:  What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?

TH: For everyone in the entire world to see it! Meanwhile, I will be touring the fest circuit and attempting to book it  at retirement centers, nursing homes, community centers, churches, universities, in other words, I plan to identify and target groups who have a vested interest in the themes of the film, such as caring for the elderly.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

TH: God knows and he's not telling.


PHOTO BY ROBERT HART © 2009

No comments: