Saturday, January 09, 2010

Take 5 with "Severing the Soul"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

Barbara Klutinis, director of "Severing the Soul," answers questions below about her fascinating experimental short film that uses found footage to tell the story of Rosemary Kennedy's lobotomy procedure in 1941.

The film plays Saturday, Feb. 6 at 1 p.m. in the Experimental Shorts Block.

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

BK: It’s historical, it’s disturbing, it’s artistic and it’s unique.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made?

BK: Dealing with copyright issues for the music and some of the photos. One needs to research the elements to get permission and choose music from other than the big music houses. That was the biggest hurdle. Also tracking down some of the found footage to see what the copyright restrictions were.

OFF: Best part in getting the film made?

BK: A sense of satisfaction. I like the film, and it came very quickly to me as I was creating it.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

BK: I have my MA in Film Production from San Francisco State University in 1986. I have been making films since 1981, moving from 16 mm. experimental films to quasi documentary to conventional documentary in video. I live in San Francisco with my husband and two sons. My films have been shown in Europe, the US, South America, Mexico, Greece, and Japan.

OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?

BK: Since I don’t own the music rights I am not able to distribute this film as I might like. I am limited to film festival screenings.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

BK: I have just completed a 43 minute documentary poem on women and fly fishing. I will be releasing it in January. This one I hope to distribute.

No comments: