Friday, January 08, 2010

Take 5 with "Scenesters"




The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.




Todd Berger's "Scenesters" will screen on Saturday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. and Sunday 11:10 a.m. 



OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

"Scenesters" is about when a serial killer starts picking off beautiful young hipsters on the east side of Los Angeles, a couple of crime scene videographers hatch a plan to catch him before the cops do. "The Scenesters" is an innovative and quirky murder mystery that both honors and deconstructs the conventions of the classic "who-done-it?" film genre. Features Sherilyn Fenn (Twin Peaks) and the Los Angeles-based comedy group The Vacationeers.

TB: A film-noir dark comedy murder mystery thriller mumblecore movie. And people should see it because it's the best film-noir dark comedy murder mystery thiller mumblecore movie around.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

TB: The biggest lesson learned was that there are a lot of good people out there ready to help you out - all you have to do is ask. I personally always thought I'd be bothering people to ask them to work on a feature, but it turns out people are very into it and find it exciting.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

TB: Well I started making movies as a ten year-old on my dad's VHS camera. My first film was a fifteen minute piece called "Dick Tracy vs. Dr. Bubbles," and was a smash success in my living room. I then made movies all through my childhood, even making features in high school. I went to the University of Texas to study film, got a literary agent, and moved to Los Angeles to work as a writer. I've been out in Los Angeles about seven years doing my thing.

OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?

TB: What did Avatar get? 4000 screens? 3D? That'll do.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

TB: For the film, that remains to be seen. Hopefully something wonderful will come out of our festival run. As for me, I'm working on several scripts for various studios right now and also on the side developing a script for me to direct.

No comments: