Monday, January 23, 2012

Take 5 with "This is what Love in Action Looks Like"

Morgan Jon Fox
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.


Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Morgan Jon Fox, Director of This Is What Love In Action Looks Like

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: In 2005 when a 16yo told his parents he was gay, they decided to send him to a Evangelical Christian camp that pledged to turn gay teens straight.  The teen blogged about this on his MySpace page, & the events that would follow became an international news firestorm...described by the New York Times as, "a modern day message in a bottle".

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: I learned that I'd never make another documentary again!!!  I have a new found respect for documentary filmmakers.  It's much more difficult to sculpt a non-fiction film than it is to work on narratives like I have in the past.  The best part about it though is the deep rewards that come along with telling people's stories...the relationships you form with these people and ho you really get to be apart of their lives, and the world that the documentary portrays...there's something very special about that opportunity to partake in creating a document of history.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?


A: This is my fourth feature length film.  My first 3 films were all narrative fiction movies...Blue Citrus Hearts, Away(A)wake, and OMG/HaHaHa.  I consider myself a Southern Filmmaker..I feel very loyal to the south..to Memphis in particular.  I love to tell stories that echo the people and places that have in their own way, become apart of who I am.  I value working with people I love and putting a microscope over the small things...that I find interesting, and sharing those things with the world.  I've also feel extremely fortunate to have worked as an assistant director and/or editor for several directors/artists whom I really admire, including Craig Brewer, Aaron Platt, Justin Timberlake, Mark Jones, Ryan Parker, and David Harris, to name a few.  

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: Well...luckily I've actually just received a distribution deal from a distributer whom I'm very excited about working with.  I'm extremely thankful that I get to screen the film all over the world, and then have a further theatrical, dvd/bluray, and online/cable deal in place.  My dream is that hopefully this little film will be able to reach people and make some kind of impact...hopefully just the right people get to see the film at just the right time in their lives...and it makes a little movement inside their brain/heart/life.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: This is What Love In Action Looks Like will be released in June of 2012..looking forward to that! I've just completed production on a new feature film and am currently in post-production.  Hope that this film will have a premiere in the Summer of 2012 as well : )  BUTTTT....mostly right now I just can't wait for the OXFORD FILM FEST!!!!!

No comments: