Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Take 5 with "Positions in Space"

Ashley W.
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.


Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Ashley W., director and artist of “Positions in Space.”


Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: The video is like a weird trip into space, and you should see it cause there's close ups of my crotch.

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: I didn't really learn a lesson, but I did have a truth reaffirmed to me. Don't load your film, especially music videos, with too much. Sometimes one guy in a basement with a smoke machine is all you need to get your point across. Not every indie film has to be about a tortured writer.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: My filmmaking background is very limited. I acted in a short scene in River City Dead (directed by Daniel Lee Perea) which was shown last year. I also have a cameo in Gypsy Heart (also directed by Daniel Lee Perea and showing at this years festival). Most importantly though, I'm the music guy. I scored Gypsy Heart, which was challenging but very rewarding. It was a great experience and I hope I can continue doing music for Daniel Lee Perea and anybody else who needs it, for that matter.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: I don't believe in dreams when it comes to this sort of thing. I believe in hard work and realism, and I know this video will make the festival run and that's it. The closest thing I have a dream for it is that people like it and want more.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: For me, more work scoring films hopefully. For the video I believe the future is the festival run and then YouTube. I would like to direct more music videos and maybe a short but since directing isn't my main thing it isn't priority. Should I change my mind and decide to be a director though, I'll do that.

No comments: