Saturday, December 17, 2011

Take 5 with "The Beacon"

Abby Olivier, co-director of The Beacon
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Abby Olivier, co-director of the short Mississippi documentary, "The Beacon." Olivier co-directed with Camilla Aiken. 




Q. In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Our film features the Beacon diner in Oxford—its food, its southern traditions, and most importantly, its people. Any Oxford local who has been around for a while, or anyone who has the slightest interest in southern food and culture should watch this film for its witty and informative entertainment.

Q. Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: The main takeaway from producing my first film is that the interactions I made with the Beacon folks not only greatly benefitted the film, but it made my experience humble and worthwhile. I absolutely cherish the workers and customers who I interviewed and with who I was able to spend so much time.

Q. Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I co-directed The Beacon with two other students for a Southern Studies documentary film course. It was my first time behind a camera, but not the first time to experience what The Beacon has to offer! I am currently a senior at Ole Miss majoring in Public Policy Leadership with a minor in Southern Studies. I graduate in May.

Q. What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: I hope that anyone who lives in Oxford or may be a constant or even sporadic visitor of the town can see this film so that the next time they eat at the Beacon it will be more than just a meal.

Q. What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: Though I am currently not pursuing filmmaking, I love the art. If ever the opportunity arose to work full time in filmmaking, I would definitely consider it—especially documentary filmmaking.

No comments: