Friday, February 04, 2011

Take 5 with "The Mud and the Blood"

photo by Jody Horton
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Greg Motz, director of "The Mud and the Blood." 
For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: There's nothing like a Bulls Bay oyster. Collecting and roasting oysters is a specialty of the South and one of the best places to enjoy this Southern treat is the Lowcountry of South Carolina. In The Mud and the Blood, follow these local bivalves from the Bulls Bay marshland to a traditional Lowcountry oyster roast.

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Lesson learned? If you have a great story to be made within your family, do it. Just about everyone you'll see on camera is related by blood to me. I've been meaning to make this film for years because the story has always been there.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I've been making films for over 20 years including the award-winning doc Hamburger America. That film was made into a book in 2008 (and revised edition of the book is being released May 2010). When I'm not making films I shoot TV commercials and TV shows. I'm also the director of the NYC Food Film Festival, in its 5th year in 2011.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: In late February I'm showing the film at the actual location (the Lowcountry of South Carolina) and having an oyster roast. If that's the film's only success I'd be satisfied. I wouldn't mind a run on Showtime or Sundance however..

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: There will be a screening combined with an actual oyster roast in South Carolina Feb 26th. Beyond that I've entered the Cannes Film Fest and SXSW. I made the film for fun and I hope it continues to make audiences happy. I'm also considering expanding the film into a full-length oyster film and travel the world examining other local oyster cultures.

No comments: