Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Take 5 with "To the Moon"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.


Jacob Ospa's animated short film, "To The Moon" plays Friday, Feb. 5 at 10 a.m. and Saturday, Feb. 6 at 4:30 p.m. as part of the Animated Shorts Block.

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

JO: It's about a trip to the moon, in a balloon!

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

JO: Brevity. The film could have been shorter, simpler, and paced a bit differently. 8 minutes and 50 seconds seems too long for a cartoon short, especially if you're going to do all the animation by yourself on a deadline... The best part in making the film was either storyboarding and designing, or doing the animation itself. In fact, the best part of making the film was anything involving drawing. It's what I love to do more than anything else. It is my purpose in life.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

JO: I have a BFA in animation from the School of Visual Arts, having graduated in 2008. TO THE MOON is my thesis film. I made a number of short films throughout college, in addition to freelance work for design studio Hot Diggity Creative, and an ongoing project wrapped around a Dr. John song called "One of a Kind You." That ongoing project is called WELCOME TO TOURETTAVILLE. Currently, I'm working for Jim's Journal cartoonist and former editor-in-chief of the Onion, Scott Dikkers.

OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?


JO: The sky's the limit! TV, film, the internet, coffee mugs, footstools, bootlegs. You name it!

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

JO: Who can say? I originally envisioned the ideas in the film as part of a larger narrative, perhaps even a series. I even have a pitchbook I put together in my third year of college related to this film. I can't say I'm quite ready to pitch it as a show or anything like that as of yet, or if I ever will be. But, I'm certainly going to keep it in mind as a possibility. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to work, draw, animate, and develop my skills as an artist and filmmaker.

No comments: