Thursday, January 28, 2010

Take 5 with "What Suffered Inside Me"



The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.


OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

JH: “A personal perspective revealing the reality endured daily by those with disabilities/depression.”

(this was edited by my friend Erik Chan. Also does it have to be exactly 10 words? since "A", "the", or "by" usually don't count much I think)


OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?



JH: The biggest lesson I learned was how to use the Walt Disney style machine to make a 2d classical animation. The best part in getting the film made: Learning editing in Final Cut Pro.


OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?


JH: At age 14 I had a stroke so I lost a lot of logical memory and have been half blind for around 9 years. My English has been improving, but I still have some trouble understanding a lot of complicated words.  I had a lot of trouble in my past, especially in high school. I look normal from the outside but people that don't know me can't see the difficulty that I have from the inside. I didn't take an animation major program; I only took around 1-2 courses of it as an extra when I was studying drawing and painting as my major for Fine Arts. I also took some extra courses in Integrated Media. I looked at a book called Animation Survival Kit (by Richard Williams) and decided to mix drawing/painting and integrated media that I learned to make my first 2-D classical animation video project. I think out of 70 students, there were only 3 people that were trying out animation for that thesis course that I was in.


OFF:  What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?


JH: Maybe Hollywood or having the info about it on the Wiki Encyclopedia website


OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?


JH: This story was suppose to be around 18 minutes but only ended up as a 3 minute music video because of the due date when I was working on it for my thesis class in OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) university. This animation has some things that are missing so I'm hoping to earn funding in the future to continue working on the story. It'll probably be a bit different than the 3 minute animation.

No comments: