Thursday, January 14, 2010

Take 5 with "Frequent Flyer"

The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

GL: People obsessed with frequent flyer miles make for interesting viewing.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?
 
GL: The biggest lesson for me was that research is hugely important even if you consider yourself an expert in the subject matter already. There's always more to learn. The best part of making the film was having an excuse to travel around like a maniac.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

GL: I did my undergraduate degree at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, focusing mainly on narrative filmmaking. While fiction remained an interest, I found myself becoming more interested in non-fiction moviemaking as I roamed around the world post-graduation. That eventually led to a two-year graduate course in journalism at UC Berkeley, which I chose for its excellent documentary program. This documentary is the final product of that course.

OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?
 
GL: I want as many people as possible to see it. I was thinking it might be a good bonus feature on the "Up in the Air" DVD--that would be pretty great.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

GL: The film is making the rounds at festivals for now. As for me, I'm about to start a job working for the video department of a magazine called Monocle in London.

No comments: