Saturday, January 23, 2010

Take 5 with "D-Tour"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

Jim Granato's film, "D-Tour" follows the band Rogue Wave and more specifically their drummer Pat as he struggles waiting for a transplant and trying to continue balancing his music career. The film plays Friday, Feb. 5 at 2:15 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 6 at 3:10 p.m.

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

JG: A rock n roll film about life, death, and bodily functions. Guranteed to open your mind. That's a little more than 10 words, but its the best I can do.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

JG: I think the biggest lesson for me was asking for more outside help sooner. I wore a lot of hats on this film from producing, directing, co-editing, shooting, funding! Although I don't mind the multitasking I would've loved to have more help with producing and of course funding. Next time I will carve out more time with writing grants and raising money. The best part in getting the film made was just that. Finishing it and sharing it with appreciative audiences. In fact, the audience response has been so much greater than I ever thought. Not that I didn't think people would not like D tour necessarily but that so many folks have gone out of their way to come up to me after a screening and thank me, or write me a letter, or even donate more money to me! The film has left a deep impression with so many and it's been a very humbling experience.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

JG: I've been making films, more or less, for nearly the last 20 years. I started out shooting with VHS, Hi 8 video and super 8mm film with friends. Actually I still shoot a lot of super 8. Making films has always been a passion of mine and there really hasn't been anything else I've wanted to do with my life. I just have to make this happen. I didn't go to film school and I never finished college. I'm a self-taught filmmaker (who's taken an occasional class here and there) based in San Francisco working freelance since 1997 on dozens of productions including my own films.

OFF:What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?

JG: Distribution is so hard. I think its harder than making the film itself. Right now, we're still submitting to festivals and the film did have a great premiere on PBS in November with Independent Lens. I hope to still book the film in some independent cinemas across the country. Since D tour features the band Rogue Wave (among others) we hope to screen the film alongside some performances creating some memorable events along the way.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

JG: The future looks promising as D tour is NOT just a documentary about music, but about an engaging performer who strives at doing what he does best despite being up against a life threatening situation. There is a whole gamut of themes running throughout, from timely health insurance issues to the topic of organ donation to a community of strangers and friends who rally around one in need. I believe there is something for everyone with this film. Having said that, we're hoping to continue on with getting the word out and screening the film for many different communities across not only the country but abroad as well. This film has no borders as it is a compelling story of human interest and with a lot of work ahead, I hope to keep talking about it and showing D tour for a long time to come.

No comments: