Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Take Five with "Butterflies"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

Winsor Yuan is a student at the University of Mississippi and has several film credits to his name. He will graduate next year and intends to pursue filmmaking as a career. "Butterflies" is his first film in the Oxford Film Festival.

"Butterflies" screens on Saturday at 3 p.m. with Mississippi Narrative Shorts Block #1. Winsor Yuan is scheduled to attend.


OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.


WY: A surreal love story that is entertaining to all ages. (10 words woo)


OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?



WY: All the preparation in the world can’t prepare you for all the problems, so over-prepare to try to take down as many as you can before you start filming. The best part of making this film was the people I met making it.


OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?


WY: I am a Chinese kid who grew up in Mississippi, although none of my films have yet to show anything about being Chinese (maybe someday when I feel I can effectively tell the story without making a joke of myself or my culture otherwise it will be full of stereotypes). I’ve been writing stories since I was three and making films since I was twelve. I wrote my first feature length screenplay then as well. I’ve been making shorts and writing ever since.



OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?



WY: I don’t really have a distribution plan for this film. It was done as my honors thesis at the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College. I’d love for it to get picked up at a few more festivals but beyond that there’s nothing more I think this film needs.


OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?


WY: For my film, we’ll see if it gets into any more festivals. I’m finishing my MBA in June and I’ll be either in LA or New York in the fall attempting to survive in the industry. Time will tell.

No comments: