Sunday, January 10, 2010

Take 5 with "Lightheaded"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

Mike Dacko's film "Lightheaded" plays on Friday, Feb. 5 at 10 a.m. and Saturday, Feb. 6 at 4:30 p.m. with Animated Shorts Block.       

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

MD: Become enlightened by candle creatures on a journey of self-discovery.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

MD: Never make a film using time as your budget. Find the money to hire a team that you trust will be jazzed about your idea and then get the most you can as quickly as you can." Lightheaded" took way to long to do on my own and without financial backing. I can say that I learned a great deal about all aspects of film making by wearing all of the cinematic hats.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

MD: My ambition took me from stop motion film making in a Pennsylvania barn loft to animating Lego characters in California. Currently I am a full time animator for Disney's ImageMovers Digital studio in Novato, CA. Although not a gamer, I have various video games to my credit including Activision/Dreamworks titles and many LucasArts Star Wars games. "Lightheaded" is my premiere short film.

OFF:  What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?

MD: I'd like to see "Lightheaded" continue to excel in film festivals, then land on a well known Internet distribution site like a Cartoon Brew or an AWN. Currently I'm looking into DVD sales for the film.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

MD: The original content I've created with my first film is a vehicle enabling me to expand on my Director skills.  What is most important to me is finding a special story to convey. Taking people somewhere magical to experience a profound and immersive world will be a goal of mine for as long as I am lucky enough make films.

No comments: