Friday, February 08, 2013

Take 5 with ... "Antenna"

As we gear up for the 10th anniversary Oxford Film Festival, we wanted to introduce you to the filmmakers and their films you will experience on Feb. 21-24, 2013. Meet C. Scott McCoy, director of "Antenna."

#1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.
Antenna is the story of the legendary punk/alternative venue and the rollicking history of the bands and fans who made Memphis their home in the 70s, 80s, and 90.

#2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?
Writing history is always going to be a tricky thing, because the writer always introduces their choices and biases into the telling of history. I had never thought about the dilemma of the person who actually has to write the history I read before, but I really felt the weight of history when I had to decide which parts of this epic story to include and leave out. The best part of making this film was getting to tell the stories and reintroduce the music of a lost generation of Memphis music.

#3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?
This is my third feature as a director. In 2004, my feature debut Automusik Can Do No Wrong won Best Hometown Feature at the Indie Memphis Film Festival and played at the 2005 Oxford Festival. In 2006, I wrote and produced a second feature film Eat with my now-wife Laura Jean Hocking. I directed and she edited that film. I have been working on Antenna with Laura Jean Hocking for the past three years.

#4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?
I would love to get full theatrical distribution, but I would be satisfied with showing the film in Memphis and regional theaters to connect with the fans of the Antenna and the Memphis music it inspired, and then doing an extensive DVD and digital release to reintroduce the music to the rest of the world.

#5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?
Big things, I hope!

1 comment:

Martha My Dear said...

this film documents not only the music and bands, but also the lifestyle that held so many wonderful memories that these tiny, run down room held for so many of us misfits, artists, and misplaced people. The closing of the Antenna club was just that, but the people who grew up in there needed closure and still today,we are a tight net group of individuals. This film chronicles that and for this, I am grateful. Well done.