Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Take 5 with ... "Double or Nothing"

Nathaniel Krause
As we gear up for the 10th anniversary Oxford Film Festival, we wanted to introduce you to the filmmakers and their films you will experience on Feb. 21-24, 2013. Meet Nathaniel Krause, director of "Double or Nothing."

#1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.  
A confrontation between a young couple and a homeless man shows those we know best sometimes act in ways we least expect. Dark comedy.

#2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?
The film was shot in one night--8 hours-- making time management and cooperative collaboration integral in completing production. Before the shoot I modeled the entire location in 3d and animated the blocking so all the departments knew ahead of time what was coming up. That said, nothing beats being surrounded by talented crew when time starts to get short. Inevitable when the preproduction plan begins to change know your characters and know your story well enought to know what suggestions will best serve your vision and the time you have left at the end of the day.

#3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background? 
I grew up in the performing arts with my sister Louisa (who plays Becca in "Double or Nothing"). We would write plays and choreograph dances together and in general enjoyed all things dramatic. However, in addition to these interests I was also drawn to science and technology. Never quite able to choose one over the other, this caused me some problems as I skipped around majors in undergrad. Eventually however, I discovered film after visiting my sister on the set of a feature she was in. I was immediately struck by the balance between technology and art-- not only would film give me a chance to fulfill my need for storytelling, but I could do so through the manipulation of both artistic and technical means-- I was hooked.

#4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film? 
We have been lucky enough to have just signed a distribution deal with Shorts International which will be distributing to iTunes, ShortsHD and ShortsTV. Beyond that, if I could ask for anything more, it would truly be a dream to get a theatrical run as part of a shorts program through Shorts International.

#5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?
For Double or Nothing, we plan to continue to play the festival circuit. As for my own future, I am finishing writing my first feature that I am pushing to get made in the next year. Beyond that, I have two other shorts coming up-- one currently in post and the other one I'll be shooting in another month. 

No comments: