Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Take 5 with "The Owl who had a wish Tangled to its Foot"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Burak N. Kurt, Director/Animator of “The Owl Who Had A Wish Tangled To Its Foot”


Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.
A: It is a touching story about friendship and being an outcast. I think people should see it for the story and also because the film is  different than most things out there.
Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?
A: The biggest lesson was keeping up with the deadline and being able to make decisions. It was a very tight schedule. Best part is being able to say that its done and getting that emotional reaction that you put as a filmmaker from the audience.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?
A: I'm currently working on my MFA thesis film in USC School of Cinematic Arts' Animation program where this film was also made. I started making animated films in college in Turkey , where I am originally from, as mostly as a self-taught enthusiast. Then I realized this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Luckily, I got into one of the best schools in the world with a scholarship to study animation and film-making,

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?
A: I love when my films are screened in festivals. Other than that I am open to anything that will make it reach to more audiences all around the world.
Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?
A: Who knows, hopefully good things. I am always trying to do my best to tell a good story that people will relate in some way. If I can inspire or make someone sad happy in the short two minutes they watch it, I call the film a success. After getting my MFA degree I want to get a job in the industry and also keep making more independent films if I can. Eventually, hopefully after getting many years of experience, I want to teach animation too. Thanks.

No comments: