Monday, January 30, 2012

Take 5 with "Training Wheels"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2012 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 9-12, 2012 and also at the Lyric Theater on Saturday, Feb. 11 as part of the Oxford Music Festival line-up where we will show music films, videos and a panel on music + film, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.


Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Sarah Fleming, director and producer of “Training Wheels”


Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: It's a pretty simple story.  At the age of 6, after a devastating encounter with a pile of garbage, Tommy decided that learning how to ride a bicycle just wasn't worth it.  Now, fifteen years later, 21-year-old Tommy Kha is rethinking that decision.  It's heart-felt, inspiring, and entertaining - all in just under 6 minutes.

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Hmmmm.  I think, sometimes simple is better.  The film topic was discussed one night over a couple of beers.  Two days later we just went out and shot it (Tommy was leaving for China in a few days, so it was pretty much now or never) and a week or so later it was edited and ready to go.  So, that was cool - having an idea and then pretty immediately having the finished piece.  Of course it wouldn't have been possible without great friends and co-collaborators - that's probably the best part of making any film, getting to work with my friends, the people I respect and value.


Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A:  I'm a Memphis-based filmmaker and co-owner of Live From Memphis, LLC (a media, entertainment and marketing company dedicated to social good).  Over the past 9 years I have produced and directed dozens of short films and music videos.  From 2005 to 2010 I was the director of the Li'l Film Fest which produced 13 short film festivals and aided in the production of over 100 short films, and I am also the co-founder and Co-Director of the Music Video Showcase (now in its 7th year).  In my spare time I'm editing my debut feature film (Fucking Art) and re-modeling my kitchen.


Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: Honestly, I just want people to see it.  We had a great time making it and the most important thing to me is that people have a great time watching it.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: Training Wheels has been on the festival circuit for just over a year now and that time is winding down.  I believe I'll be posting it on the internet for public consumption sometime in April.

No comments: