Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Take 5 with "Our Time Together"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, David Lipson, director of "Our Time Together." 
For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Our Time Together is an intimate exploration of a young man’s growing infatuation with a stranger during a particularly tumultuous moment in his life. Regarding why someone should see it – I think that most of us have struggled with the feelings of stagnation and loneliness that the film’s protagonist is so desperately attempting to confront. And we’re screening with Martha Stephens’ Passenger Pigeons, which is an awesome movie. So that’s another good reason to see Our Time Together. I’m way over 140 characters with this answer.
Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: The best part of making Our Time Together was working with a group of such talented and dedicated people. I feel incredibly lucky to have collaborated with the cast and crew of this film.
Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I started nerding out on screenwriting theory and making little shorts when I was fifteen. Since then, I’ve been awarded the Beatrice-Deglin Ledder Screenwriting Award from Temple University, recognized by the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts two years in a row, and my work has screened around the country and on video on demand. I’ve also worked as a script consultant for a number of independent filmmakers including Lynn Shelton, Megan Griffiths, and Oscar-winning director Jeffrey D. Brown. And I just graduated from the University of Washington with a B.A. in English. I think my parents are really relieved about the degree thing.
Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: My hope is that through festivals or whatever else anyone who might enjoy the film will have an opportunity to check it out. I’d love to have some understanding of effective distribution strategies for shorts that would allow me to give a more informed answer, but I don’t. So my answer is pretty simple: my dream is for people to watch the movie.
Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: I’m currently in development with Christian Hansen and Ted Speaker on a feature film tentatively entitled People Like Us. I’m incredibly excited about that project and I can’t wait to get back onset.

No comments: