Thursday, January 13, 2011

Take 5 with "A Secret to a Happy Ending"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Barr Weissman, director of "The Secret to a Happy Ending" playing Friday, Feb. 11 at 8:15 p.m.  
For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: SECRET is a naturalistic portrait of the rock band the Drive-By Truckers. Their songs offer an unflinching portrait of the human experience -- its dark flaws and shining moments. As we watch the Truckers struggle to overcome, redeeming themselves through the power of Rock, the viewer can identify with the journey.
Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: The best part of making this film was discovering that you can make a labor-of-love project happen if you keep believing. The community surrounding the Drive-By Truckers, and my own family and friends came through, and together we got it done. It took 6 years. The lesson learned -- it takes a village, and be sure to enjoy the journey.
Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I started making 8mm films when I was 12. We had to edit in the camera. When I began to pursue work in film, I became an editor -- being particularly drawn to documentaries, the creative potential of editing seemed huge. I have been freelance my entire career (nearly 30 years), and have produced and edited my own independent documentaries and edited several independent films, and worked for the likes of PBS, National Geographic, the Smithsonian and Discovery Channel.
Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: It is starting to come true! We our pursuing a limited theatrical run (1 to 3 nights in select cities across the country), have made a deal for digital and broadcast distribution, and will begin offering the film on DVD in 2011
Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: I want the film to spread the gospel of the Drive-By Truckers! To me they are the worthiest of artists -- they are true to themselves, can write in a way that connects to the human experience, and they really rock! For me, I look forward to returning to my role as a fan, and moving on to my next film. Many ideas are percolating, the main goal is to stay with documentary, and to celebrate the human spirit.

No comments: