Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Take 5 with "Sasquatch and the Girl"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Trevor Knapp Jones, creator of "Sasquatch and the Girl," playing in the animation block on Saturday, Feb. 12 at 10 a.m. and Sunday, Feb. 13 at 12:30 p.m.

For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone
should see it.

A: Through the use of shadow play and narration by the great Russell Means, we hear the legend of why the Sasquatch must hide. It is a story about an outsider looking for acceptance. This film will change your life

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in
getting the film made?

A: Sometimes you just got to make decisions and go with them, and trust your instincts. When i went to go record the dialogue with Russell the script was still being put together. I was completely unsure about how it would sound and if Russell would like it. But as soon as i heard it come out of his voice it all sounded so amazing that I forgot what parts i had wanted to change. Everything suddenly sounded so right. The best part was getting to collaborate with such talented people that understood the vision for this film. Russell and Ben made such amazing contributions to this film. It would not be the same film without them.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I started making films with my Legos when i was in the 6th grade. Now i make films at the California Institute of the Arts (Calarts) in there character animation program. My background is mostly in animation but i have been known to pick up a camera every now and then.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: I don't really know what the options are for short films right now. I mean the only distribution it seems there is in short film collections. Which is a shame really because more people should see short films. This needs to change.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: 
I don't know what this film is going to do, it kind of has a mind of its own now. And as for me that's an even harder question. I would love to continue to develop my own work, whether that be in studio system or independent is still up in the air. My mom and dad would probably say studio, because they want me to have a job (so do I).

No comments: