Saturday, January 22, 2011

Take 5 with "The Life and Times of a Dustbunny"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Emily Hamel, creator of "The Life and Times of a Dustbunny." 

For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: In the grand tradition of films like “Cleopatra”, “Ben-Hur”, and “Avatar”, “The Life and Times of a Dustbunny” will blow your mind with its epic depiction of the struggle over life and death...all in 45 seconds.
Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Biggest lesson: Save often and have backups! The best part of getting the film made, seeing it with an audience for the first time. I was sitting in the back of an auditorium after a screening and as the audience filed out, a little girl whisper-shouted to her mother: “The bunny one was my favorite! It was the best!”. Best. Review. Ever.
Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: The first film I ever worked on was a student gangster film in college where my job was to provide vats and vats of fake blood, I made about 10 gallons every night and fell in love with the moviemaking process right then and there. I spent the next two years learning the basics of cinematography under Sundance filmmaker, Kevin Everson and his merry band of Film Phucs. During my last semester in college, I took an animation class for fun and ended up completely changing my filmmaking focus, which is how the “Dustbunny” came to be. After I graduated, I applied for an apprenticeship at Richard Linklater’s Austin Film Society in Austin, TX and was extremely fortunate to be accepted. Through AFS and the wonderful staff that works there, I got a job on Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life" in the visual effects department. Two years later when "Tree of Life" wrapped, I started work on the set of Aaron Burns' "blacktino" as the associate producer. When I’m not working or animating I skate for the TXRD Lonestar Rollergirls, the infamous banked-track roller derby league in Austin, Texas.
Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: My dream distribution would be as an opening short for the next Pixar film, those people are brilliant
Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: I'm currently working on the third episode of the Dustbunny Series, "Mount Killa-bun-jaro" and the untitled fourth episode which will both premiere on my website jackalopeproductions.com when they are completed. However, production comes in starts and stops since I've started helping out on the new Untitled Terrence Malick project.

No comments: