Monday, January 17, 2011

Take 5 with "All Work"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Robert Davis, Oxford High School graduate who made "All Work," playing at the Malco on Sunday. 
For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Ladies and gentlemen…This is a motion picture that has the flame, the desire and essence of film which, sadly, the current Hollywood lacks.
Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Making this film over the course of a year helped me to develop a deeper understanding and relationship with my friends, editing systems and film cameras. It wasn’t just all learning about technical aspects; doing this film taught me a lot about people and how much they can take. I knew how far I could push my friends before they pushed back and vice versa. On many occasions none of us agreed on anything so we had to find some way to take what each of us liked and eliminate the things we did not. I believe that we really grew in that year, mentally, emotionally and physically, of course. I learned trust, acceptance, debating skills and ultimately built even stronger friendships than had previously existed. So all in all it was a mindplosive experience, definitely the best in my life so far. Now that I look back, I wonder what that experience really was… A daring film, the first semi professional one I’ve made? Or just an excuse to play with my friends…I really don’t know.
Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I enjoyed all my early experiences in Oxford but soon found that I had to push out a little farther to find unique things that were fascinating to me. So I began to pursue distinctive activities that captured my interests, namely gymnastics, violin and the performing arts. Because I was homeschooled I wasn’t forced to learn things I didn’t want to (for the most part) and was able to explore areas that intrigued me. When I was three I first saw gymnastics equipment at the University of Mississippi and began taking classes. However, in a few years the program ended and I had to travel to a gym 80 miles away in Memphis, Tennessee. Similarly I began studying music and violin in Oxford at in Oxford but eventually I had to go to the University of Memphis to broaden my musical education. I was beginning to realize that I was outgrowing Oxford and finally, after all these years, I have. Our home never had television reception or cable (and still doesn’t), so I found other ways of entertainment such as playing with my mother’s video and still cameras. This is what apparently started my fascination with film. When I was 8 years old I was hired in the motion picture Big Bad Love as a gymnast. Although I only rode a bicycle down a dirt road repeatedly, I thought it was exciting to work on a motion picture set! So my enthrallment with filmmaking began in Oxford and has continued through the years from making school projects, to creating documentary shorts to finally my first independent film which I consider my life accomplishment thus far. On the last few weeks of working on my film it became sort of an addiction for me. I would stay up many nights to fine tune a scene or move the audio to just the right place and much to my mother’s disapproval, pull 18 hour "work" days. My life and editing this film got unhealthily close together, so much so that eventually I was driving in the car with the windows down and I thought to myself, my God, that background noise is terrible, I have to find a way to cut that out. It was at this time when I realized how much I loved it and why I needed to do this as my career.
Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: My dream distribution plan for the film is for it to (hopefully) become a national premiere and gain recognition in other festivals. Though still the best part was making it; no amount of money can replace that. Having it premiered at a Malco on a big screen is pretty much a dream come true.
Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: With a bit of luck this film will get my name out there, my friends and I might get cast to do other work among companies and various professionals in the motion picture industry. If not, then that’s fine because we had one hell of a good time making this, the hours spent, the tensions and laughter, all of the creation so much fun that that’s a reward alone.

Yes I have selected my next project (a 1940’s horror/romance), though it will most likely have to be put on hold until I either start college or sign on with a film company; at this time, I neither have the funds nor the equipment, only the cinematic dream. 

No comments: