Friday, December 31, 2010

Take 5 with "Untitled"

As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Also, we thought on New Year's Eve, what better film to introduce you to than "Untitled," the story of breaking up. 


Chad Hartigan, director of "Untitled."
Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Chad Hartigan, director of the film, which plays in the short narrative block from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 11 and Saturday, Feb. 12 at 6 p.m.

For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Breaking up sucks so we might as well be able to laugh at it. Or at least laugh at Don and Dixie doing it.

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: The film was, believe it or not, a piece of cake to put together. I had just been broken up with and thought it might be therapeutic to write something about my experience, not necessarily with the intention of filming it. When I liked what I wrote, I asked two actors that I really admired if they wanted to do it as an excuse to work with them, not necessarily thinking anyone would ever see the final product. We rehearsed a few times, shot for one afternoon with one camera guy and one sound guy and then I started showing close friends the end product and they really responded to it. Sometimes the things you make for yourself end up having the most universal appeal, I guess.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A: I went to film school at the North Carolina School of the Arts and made a few terrible shorts there. I made one feature in 2008 called LUKE AND BRIE ARE ON A FIRST DATE, which played at Oxford in 2009 and that was a great experience. I'm hoping to shoot another feature in April but we'll see if the money comes together.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: Just to play at some cool festivals in nice cities and see it with appreciative audiences.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: Oxford will be the first time I see the movie with a bunch of strangers so I'll be very curious to see the reaction. If it plays really well, I'll consider putting it out to more festivals but I have no big plans for it right now. My plans for me are more focused on this upcoming feature.

No comments: