Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Take 5 with "S&M Lawncare"

Mark Potts, director and actor in "S&M Lawncare"
As we gear up for the Oxford Film Festival 2011 to be held at the Malco Studio Theater on Feb. 10-13, 2011, we thought we might introduce you to some of the people behind the movies we can't wait to show you.

Meet Take 5 filmmaker, Mark Potts, director and actor with "S&M Lawncare" which plays Friday, Feb. 11 at 6 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 12 at 10 a.m. For the full schedule and description of the films, visit www.oxfordfilmfest.com.

Q. 1: In 140 characters or less, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

A: Goodness, in just 140 characters? That's hard. I have to be succinct with such a limited amount of space. Crap, I'm almost out. It's good!

Q. 2: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

A: Biggest lesson is that actors need to learn their lines. And by "actors" I mean Cole and myself. Brand, the villain in the film, came prepared to act and Cole and I came to set prepared to direct, but not read lines. Needless to say, future memorizing will be done.

The best part in getting it made was actually doing it. I always say filmmaking is the best worst time I can have. It's hard, stressful, angering and upsetting, but it's also incredibly fun and addicting. I love the rush of shooting a scene and I really enjoy a good creative argument or discussion. Working with a group of dedicated friends is also great because we all have the same goal: to make a good film.

Q. 3: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

A:  I am a graduate of Film and Video Studies from the University of Oklahoma and just recently got my Masters degree in Broadcast Journalism. I spent most of my time in college making random shorts.

Cole Selix and myself formed Singletree Productions in 2006 and shortly after, made our first feature, "The Stanton Family Grave Robbery," which played in Oxford during the 2008 festival. We continued making shorts and another feature, "Simmons on Vinyl" which played at numerous festivals and won several awards.

"S&M Lawn Care" is our third feature. It is also my graduate project. How I was able to make a feature narrative film as my journalism project is sort of amazing, considering it has nothing to do with journalism.

Q. 4: What's your dream distribution plan for the film?

A: I'm of the mindset that beggars can't be choosy, so I would take any form of distribution. Having it on Netflix is the ultimate goal.

Q. 5: What does the future hold in store for your film and for you?

A: 
Singletree begins work on their fourth feature in 2011. It is titled, "A Splice of Life" and is about the trials and tribulations of working in a movie theater.


After that, we plan on making a quick and dirty fifth feature titled "Roark Comptons: The Motion Picture" based of a character from a web series we once did.

And at some point, I'd love to learn how to tap dance.

1 comment:

Jupiter Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.