Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Take 5 with Birthday



The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take fivewith filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

Hans Stiritz film, "Birthday" screens Friday at 4:20 and Sunday at 5 p.m. 

OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

HS: A reminder to savor every moment with people you love.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

HS: Lesson learned? Big picture: no excuses for not making your film -- just get it done with the tools and resources you have in front of you right now. Little detail: even if the frame rate is correct, shutter speed makes a big difference in getting that "film" look! Best part? Getting to share something beautiful with an audience.

OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?
HS: I loved movies growing up, and I got into the business right out of school as a scoring composer for commercial and corporate projects (also a few small, indy films). Started motion picture editing about ten years ago, and found it to be a very natural extension of my work manipulating sound and music. Then a few years ago I added shooting to my bag of tricks (I've also had a lifelong interest in photography), and things have continued to snowball from there.

I love the emotional impact of the synthesis of visual motion (both camera and subject), montage (the edited sequence of image), and music. I also love how filmmaking, like music, has the capacity to tell incredibly rich, meaningful stories without the use -- or limitations -- of words.

OFF: What’s your dream distribution plan for the film? What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

HS: As for "Birthday," I'll be happy to see it play a few more festivals, then put it on-line for the rest of the world to check it out (you can see the trailer at www.eveningfilms.com/birthday). And for my work, I have several ideas for features that I'm currently knocking around to see which one(s) will end up having enough staying power to keep me motivated to get them into production.

No comments: