Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Take 5 with "What Happened"


The 7th annual Oxford Film Festival is getting closer every day. Before we kick off another fun-packed festival, we thought we would take five with filmmakers and get to know them just a little better.

April Wren, Mississippi filmmaker, returns to Oxford this year with her short, "What Happened," which plays Saturday, Feb. 6 at 3 p.m. as part of the Mississippi Shorts Block 2.


OFF: In 10 words, describe your movie and why someone should see it.

AW: A dramatic encounter between two friends...with a twist.

OFF: Biggest lesson learned in getting the film made? Best part in getting the film made?

AW: I've only been making films for a few years now, and "What Happened?" was my second film to write and direct, so I learned a lot from it. It was hard to find a balance between directing the film and acting in it, but it was a ton of fun and gave me a better understanding of how to handle multiple responsibilities in the future. The best part was the satisfaction of seeing that the film turned out exactly how I imagined it during the writing process.
 
OFF: Tell us about you. What is your movie making background?

AW: I did a lot of acting in high school and college plays, and when I met Michael Williams in 2006, he offered me some roles in his short films. We ended up being great friends and his love of filmmaking inspired me to write and direct some films of my own. He basically introduced me to this whole new world of filmmaking and film festivals that I would have probably never known of otherwise. I owe him a lot!


OFF:  What’s your dream distribution plan for the film?
 
AW: I would like for "What Happened?" to get accepted into some more festivals within the next year.

OFF: What’s the future hold in store for your film and for you?

AW: The future of "What Happened?" will likely only consist of a few more film festivals. As for myself, I recently graduated from Mississippi University for Women with a B.S. in speech-language pathology. I'm currentlly attending graduate school at MUW and will get my masters in speech pathology in 2011. I plan to continue to write and direct short films, as well as act whenever the opportunity comes along.

No comments: